My husband and I went to the store and choose the colors that we wanted. We went with Parchment Paper from Behr paint and primer in one, provincial stain, and a heavy use polyurethane.
Then I poured out the paint and rolled it on. It took three coats of the paint to reach the color we were looking for, which was "too white" for my husband which is where the stain comes in.
I took an old t-shirt and rubbed the stain on the cabinets and then used another t-shirt to wipe off the stain. Then I put the polyurethane on, and that took three coats.
When I put the first coat of the polyurethane on I almost started crying. On the spots that I did not sand very much the stain was coming up and I was left with a big mess. Then I decided that I liked the look of the not sanded areas and I spread the polyurethane on anyways and just went with it.
So this was a time consuming project that took longer because we had to eat dinner and do homework and crazy things like wait for each coat of each different paint to dry. It took me about a week to finish everything but could be done in a few days if you just kept working on it. It was a doable and a fairly cheap update to our kitchen. Overall I love the transformation but if I had to do it again I would spend more time sanding...