Sunday, September 8, 2013

Stenciled Band Shirts

Two of my sons and one of their friends are in a band. When my dad was younger he was in a band called "Expression" and they had matching outfits and got paid $3.50 to play cardboard box drums at a girl's birthday party. So naturally when he heard that my kids were doing a band, they needed a gig for $3.50.  So we hired them for our Summer Solstice Party.

My oldest son designed it the way he wanted the shirt.  When we got to Walmart to pick up a shirt we couldn't find a gray one with a pocket, or a shirt color that had all their sizes.  We finally settled on blue with yellow paint.

I used my Silhouette to design his shirt and I cut it out with freezer paper to make a stencil.

Then I ironed on the stencil putting the shiny side on the shirt.

Then I added yellow glow acrylic paint.  I was having trouble getting this color to show up on the shirt so I put the paint on really thick.

Then I let the paint dry and pulled off the transfer paper and we had band shirts.

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Easy Elastic Headbands

So now that fall is getting into the picture, our life is just as busy as ever.  I have finally reached that point in the mom universe where I get to live in my car.  Which pretty much puts a lot of my creating and fun projects on hold... or at least causes them to stretch out over incredibly long periods of time.  Today I am going to share a really easy project that I made for my daughter's party favor.  When I ordered elastic for my DIY Hairties  I also order a lot of purple elastic, her current favorite color, to make something for her party.

I wanted to make some headbands for the girls to go in their favor bags.  I took some fold over elastic that I got from Sunshine Shoppe and I measured 15" for the girls. (The sunshine shoppe also has a list of measurements for newborns to adults found here.)  I heat sealed all the edges by slowly passing a flame near the edges, to prevent fraying.  Then I grabbed my trusty glue gun, put on a dab of glue and overlapped the edges.

I wanted the headband to be able to have accessories-flowers and other clips- that could be interchangeable so I took enough elastic to overlap my edges and I hot glued it to the inner part of the headband.  This created a flap that will allow clips to be inserted in and there you have it.